About my Blog

Travel, Food, Film, Books, and Music!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Beijing to Paris /Book review

We left Beijing at 9am, took a 6 Hour flight to Kuala Lumpur Via Malaysian Airlines. We were going to do a day tour because we had a 7 hour layover, and they tried to rip us off so we stayed in the airport. I was almost finished reading this:
It's a Gothic Novel, recommended by my 10th Grade English Teacher. I told my mom it was for school because it was the only way to convince her to get me books, I read so much it was getting expensive. I never got around to reading it until now. I really enjoyed it. It's Based in France and Italy, there are lots of landscape descriptions, it's a little bit creepy ( just how I like my books), and it's over 600 pages so it kept me occupied for a while. I'll give this one a rating of 7.5/10, only because It did take me a long time to read. Landscape descriptions took a page sometimes...I still recommend it.

I bought a book in the Airport because it was cheaper than buying it in Australia, I finally caved and bought this:

I ate it up in Less than a Week. I'm not usually into crime novels, but this one is so incredibly well written, and although it's also over 600 pages, I couldn't put it down. Do yourself a favour, avid readers, because this one is going to get you addicted to the 3 book series. To this one I probably have to give a 9.5/10. I can't just GIVE it a ten, but it was pretty darn close.

I can't wait to watch the Swedish (original) version of the Movies, but I'm a firm believer in reading the book before seeing the movie. I'm also excited to see the English language version of the 1st book coming out later this year I believe. Here is the trailer:

I am particularly excited for this version because Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack. And I love a killer soundtrack.

I'm currently reading the next one in the series:
While traveling, do yourself a favour, friends. Either buy a couple of book in the Airport, or if you stay at a hostel long enough, Have some sent via Ebay or Amazon. Now I'm not usually a big fan of Amazon because lately we have had trouble receiving things we have ordered ( also known as my Xmas present from Dave). But, I took the chance, got free shipping on Amazon.fr and got my book on Monday when its predicted arrival date was today, wednesday. I have to say I'm impressed. I've started but this time I'm forcing myself to pace myself. I'm already hooked, of course.

I don't have a very long to-read list at the moment, after this series I plan on reading Eat, Pray, Love. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I am reading The Girl Who Played With Fire too!! It is soooo good. It picks up right where the first book left off. I'm glad to see you getting some great reads in. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked eat, pray, love!! you've just inspired me to read the girl w the dragon tattoo!!! currently reading The Shock Doctrine, just finished reading a bunch of Karl Marx some I'm in the mood for something totes diff for my next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ashley, I'm loving The Girl who played with fire so far too! I'm trying to pace myself though haha. I'll let you know when I have something new for you!

    @Noemi, I have been wanting to read eat play love for a while, but in Australia it had a waitlist of 200 people!! so I might just cave and buy it if i finish this trilogy soon. Tell me about the shock doctrine! <3

    ReplyDelete